Wednesday, October 14, 2009

We did it!

We completed the Evansville Mini Marathon!! YAY! The weekend started with all of us & our families going to Evansville Saturday afternoon for some kid clothes shopping then taking the kids to Gattitown. Then the husbands took the kids home while the ladies met at Biaggi's for our pasta dinner before the race! It was me, Brooke, Lauren & Kristin. And as soon as we get to dinner Brooke dropped the bomb she wouldn't be running because she just found out she was pregnant. Although she had trained she had a little cramping through the week and didn't want to chance it. And Amber decided she was going to walk with her Mom in the race. So then there was 3! The 3 that trained nightly together for 14 weeks, me, Lauren & Danyelle. I can't say I was excited about this race at all. I had a done a mini before & thought it was pure torcher. I didn't train for it at all just did it & man was it rough. It took me 2hr47min! This time even though I trained I wasn't pumped to run this, it was so cold & I was really tired! But I didn't have any reason not to so I did it. Brooke & Kristin were my fan club. They popped in & out of the track on mile 3 & 6 which made it fun to be anticipating seeing people I knew. To my surprise the miles were just drifting by. My goal was just to run 4 straight miles & see what happened after that, but then I saw mile 8, 9, 10, 11 and I thought well I'm not stopping now. And I didn't, I ran the whole 13.1 miles nonstop!! Never in my dreams would I had imagined I would or could do that. My time was 2hr10min. 37 minutes better than my last mini. I have to say I was quite pleased! Here are some pics from the race.


All the runners/walkers from our group
rt 2 left:Ambers cousins boyfriend, Pam (Ambers Mom) Danyelle Niehaus, Amber Combs, Me, Lauren, Brooke Havill


Me around mile 3(still smiling with arms up!)


me around mile 6 (smiling but no arms up!)


Me & Lauren After 13.1 miles!!


My Fan Club!!


Showing off our shirts. 1 sleeve said Team Dirk for in memory of Ambers Dad, Pams husband, and the other sleeve said Team Andrea, in memory of our friend. Then on the front team Dirks motto "Don't ask for an easier life, ask to be a stronger person" And on the back is Andrea's quote to us when we ran our first mini in 2006 she said "See ya at the finish line!"

9 comments:

Andrea said...

Congrats! That is Awesome :o)

Shannon said...

Yeah! Glad you posted, I was starting to wonder about ya!

Love the pic w/ the arms up!!!

Unknown said...

great job jenelle! still sooooo proud of you!

Courtney, Jeff, Ayla & Leah said...

I am so excited foryou! I can't even imagine what 13 mi looks like. But I've seen you out and training. Go girl! Awesome shirts by the way. How empowering :) Dirk was an amazing guy. Ive known him all my life and then had the pleasure of being his nurse many times. And we all know Andrea was cheering you on from up above!

Brittany said...

Awesome!! Love the shirts- they made me cry.

Beth said...

wow! good for you guys. i was wondering what your time was, and that is just great. you should be very proud. -beth

Jessie said...

Holy cow you did it!! I knew you could;) I admire anyone who can run that far without stopping. I'd be severely winded after the first 1/2 mile!! You guys need to come over and see us soon. We miss you!!

Anonymous said...

I had to get a little teary eyed reading your post... that is soo awesome, what an accomplishment... A true miracle that God helped you that entire time..:) Congrats..

Brandi said...

i am totally impressed!